Middle School Level 6 | Level 7 | Level 8
The curriculum is designed to give as wide a range of study as possible in order to tap and develop each student’s full potential.
The emphasis at this level is to offer a broad programme which ensures the acquisition of basic skills as well as exposing the students to exciting cross-curricular experiences. The pastoral care aspect appears in a very strong but discreet manner.
The Educational Programme is broad-based and offers a variety of well-structured experiences through:
• The Core Areas – Maltese*, English, Mathematics, and Integrated Science.
• Foreign Languages – Italian, French, German and Spanish.**
• The Humanities – History, Geography and Environmental Studies, Religious Education/Ethics Education***.
• The Expressive Arts – Art and Design, Music and Drama.
• Physical Education and Sport.
• Personal, Social and Health Education.
• Information and Communication Technology.
• Student Skills.
* International students may opt out of this programme of study – Students who are particularly weak in English may be asked to follow English for non-English speakers during some of these lessons. Otherwise they may choose to take Spanish, French for native speakers or for non-native speakers, Italian classes for Italian native speakers or Maltese for non-Maltese speakers.
** Together with the compulsory areas of study, students are exposed to four foreign languages; French, Italian, German and Spanish in Level 6, after which they choose one which they will continue to study from Level 7 upwards.
*** The Ethics Education programme at St Martin’s College is offered to learners who opt to follow the Ethics Education curriculum instead of Religious Education. The syllabus is structured in such a way that learners can appreciate new ways of learning Ethics, a and discussion of open and closed communities, tolerance, and the role that the ‘self’ plays within the community. Topics range from bway of thinking that truly enriches their experience of the subject. The Modules offered as part of this course include an analysisut are not restricted to the influence of social media on our everyday life, role models and moral aspects concerning the importance of care for myself and others, dependence, and the right to life of both humans and animals.
The Outdoor Learning Programme
Throughout their Middle School years, learners will participate in several outdoor learning experiences that offer a whole new approach to learning – one that transfers learning outdoors. The main aim of this initiative is to engage and further strengthen our students’ learning experience by linking the outings organised to specific topics and learning outcomes that are covered in the various learning areas offered at the College. Students visit places of educational interest throughout the scholastic year. These visits are important as they support the school academic programme.
For more information about our programmes kindly email [email protected]
Our School Hours for Middle School Level 6 | Level 7 | Level 8
September to May 08:20 – 15:00
June 08:20 – 12:50
St Martin’s College, Swatar, (Malta)
Health & Safety Certificate
St Martin’s College was awarded the Health and Safety Education Certificate of Merit (HASSCoM) at Intermediate Level. This certificate is issued by the Health and Safety Unit of the Department of Educational Services to those schools who would have met certain criteria in the Health and Safety aspect in that particular school. SMC will continue working to achieve the Advanced Level in the forthcoming years.